So I thought it was about time I put together the tutorial for the beadboard backsplash I put up in the kitchen. It was a semi-easy and inexpensive way to brighten up the space.
Below is a before picture of our kitchen. Well, actually this is an in progress picture. When we first moved in the hardware was yellow and was centered in the middle of the cabinets. We filled in all the holes with wood filler, sanded, primed and painted them. We replaced the cabinet door hardware with oil rubbed bronze knobs (similar to these
) . I would like to replace the hardware on the drawers sometime soon with something a little different. But I love the finish of them so that won’t change. We don’t get a ton of natural light in here so it was in desperate need of some brightening up!
I had Matt’s dad help me take out the ugly florescent lights from under the cabinets.
Then I took a crow bar and got to work ripping out the backsplash.
Beautiful sight right? I had to unscrew all those nails from underneath the cabinet and the ones I couldn’t get to I hammered down. Then I scraped off the pieces of wood particle that were left from the backsplash and sanded it smooth.
I fixed the places in the wall that had gotten ripped from the backsplash extraction.
So once everything had been prepped I measured the space between the counter and the bottom of the cabinet and the length of space that would need the beadboard. I took my measurements to Home Depot and they cut the pieces for me. So much faster than doing it myself! I measured where the outlet holes needed to be and drew them out with a pencil. I piloted holes into each of the corners using my drill.
This was my first time doing this. I was just practicing with the hole in the middle. =)
I used a jigsaw to cut out the holes.
After all the holes were cut out I used liquid nails to attach the beadboard to the wall.
I used small white nails to secure it a little more just placing them in a few places around the edges.
Matt’s dad raised the outlets a little for me so they would be level with the beadboard. I caulked around all the edges and where I pushed two pieces of beadboard together and then painted everything with a couple coats of bright white.
Because my countertops were not flush with the wall I had to use a thick baseboard to cover up the space. Matt’s dad helped me add a small piece of wood to the back to make them thick enough to cover it completely. I didn’t attach the baseboard molding to the wall right away because I wasn’t sure what I was going to do about the counter at that time.
I decided to paint my countertops to look like granite. You can check out the details of that in this
I just finished painting the kitchen walls and will show you as soon as I finish up with a little accessorizing. The other half of the kitchen is almost finished so I’ll post pictures of that also. I’ve got lots of projects I’m working on this summer and will try and post as much as I can! Thanks for reading!
I’m linking up with a few of these parities. Check them out!